Sunday, August 19, 2012

The aftermath…


While driving home from the funeral today, several things occurred to me:

We are a bunch of 30 and 40 year old people there to celebrate Kristi’s life – but the thing is – a bunch of 30 and 40 year olds shouldn’t have to be at a funeral of another 40 year old.  It was a heart breaking experience.

Seeing her life in pictures, hearing the thoughts of her loved ones makes me realize so much – the small things that we spend SO much time and energy on…DO.NOT.MATTER.

In the end – the stress we put on ourselves to have a perfect house, to have a perfect body, to have the perfect car – the standards we set for ourselves – none of it matters. When it is all said and done, the only thing that really matters is love – love for God, love for family, love for friends, love for each other.

And to see Kristi in all those pictures with her family and friends made me realize – our lives are one big series of stories that we should strive to share with each other.  Our lives are meant to be lived with family and friends.  Our lives are meant to be shared with each other.

I really want to look at the priorities I have had lately.  I want Eric to look at his. I want to remember to live and deeply love every day. I want to remember the precious gift God gives us to live with our loved ones and to cherish the time here and to love as much as I can.

2 comments:

Runi said...

You're spot on, Renee! 30-40 year olds should not have to attend memorials of other 30-40 year olds. We know there are so many things in life that we cannot control but we can control the moments and memories we create with our loved ones. Her memorial was a beautiful as she was and she will never be forgotten.

Sending you a big hug and I feel so fortunate to know you and have so many good memories with you!

Sheila Rumney said...

Beautifully said! Praying that God surrounds you with comfort and strength.