Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Telling the truth

Why is telling the truth about something that you don’t want to face so hard to do? I guess in a way once you say it out loud to others you aren’t only telling your secret, you are also allowing yourself to know it is your truth for this time. I do realize I have been absent lately – both with my writing on my blog and in my life. I have had a rough couple of weeks and I couldn’t quite put my finger on what was wrong – I had no motivation to do anything and when I say anything, I mean it. I didn’t want to make cards, I didn’t want to be creative, I didn’t want to talk to friends, I didn’t want to do anything that in my day to day life makes me happy. I had my breaking point last week when my radiation dr. told me I will need 35 sessions of radiation – seven weeks total. I couldn’t wrap my mind around 35 sessions nor could I pull myself out of the funk anymore. I felt defeated and scared and tired of all this shit. I called my dr. and she told me post chemo depression is very common and actually didn’t sound surprised by the fact I was calling. Whatever, I was surprised. I thought I had everything held together and in place but I guess looking back, it was all held together with very fragile glue. So, I was put on anti-depressants and am praying they work and work fast. Although, I do feel a lot better than I felt last week so in my mind they are already working and maybe that is all I needed – was the thought of getting better.

It is hard to explain to myself how I could let myself be depressed at this juncture of the journey. I have so much to be great full for – I AM CANCER FREE damn it but I have a lot of turmoil in me that I need to deal with and work out. I think the reality of the situation in just now hitting me, the magnitude of what I went through is now in my face verses when I was going through it – I couldn’t let it. If I let it get to me then, I would have been defeated and THAT was not an option. So, it got to me a little later but thankfully I am stronger now and not afraid to tell the truth to my dr and to myself and realize something was wrong. Now, I need to get right and get back to myself.

I start radiation tomorrow and am scared. Scared of how it will actually be. It sounds painful in a completely different way then chemo was painful and different from how surgery was painful. One - it is every flippin’ freakin’ day, Monday – Friday for seven weeks straight – the thought of that is painful. Two - what it will do to my skin sounds really painful, as in I won’t be able to wear a bra (not real sure what I am going to do with that one) and three, fatigue is more than likely going to return. I don’t want to go, but I know I must so I don’t think about it too much and just remind myself that I have done so much these past 5 months and I will continue to do what I need to do to get through this and be done with it. All I can picture is once I am done with radiation, they will stamp my chart with a big, red FREE stamp on the outside of it. Now, I am sure they don’t actually do that but it sure would be nice if they did.

4 comments:

Sherwoods said...

How many times have I written that I'm so proud of you?! You continue to impress me and I wish for the thousandth time that I was there to hold your hand through this round of treatments. Just know that I'm holding you in my prayers and heart. You will do great tomorrow!

Marci

Monica said...

Hey Renee,

I think you have every right to feel however you darn well want to! Your body has gone through a very tough trial, and all the work it has done has got to have taken its toll! I'm really happy the doctors have given you something to help through the rest of the challenge, and you have done such a GREAT job already - there isn't anything wrong with having a lil something to help you though. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!

Monica said...

Oh, PS:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/770416963_3cd21b0c81.jpg

:)

Unknown said...

I love you! xoxoxoxoxxxxxxxxx