Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bag lady



I am a bag lady

I have collected bags

all my life

some big

some small

some stylish

some plain

These bags –

I collect

even

hoard

some might say

These bags

hold

all kinds of different

emotions

stories

hurts

loves

Lately though –

I have realized

these bags

all weigh different

 ~love is light and airy

I can sling it over my shoulder and take it with me wherever I go –

no matter how long the journey

Joy is the same

I can stuff my bag full of joy

and never feel

its weight

on my shoulder

 

On the other hand:

anger

shame

and

hate

can weigh me down

even if I am only carrying

a single

lonely

pebble in my bag

this tiny pebble

weighs a ton

like carrying bricks

bending me

side to side

and hurting my body

little

by

little

tweaking my back

here and there

 

I have decided though

I surely don’t need

all these bags

weighing me down.

 

I am getting rid of the bags

especially the tiny bags

the tiny bags

that carry

only the pebbles

the pebbles

that weigh me down

 

I have decided

I only need one bag

One bag

to carry God

with me

all day

everyday

in that bag

I will find

all the

Love

Joy

Grace

Laughter

Hope

I can imagine

and

that

will be my only bag

I carry

from now on

2 comments:

Heather Mullin said...

Renee, thank you so much for sharing all that you do! I know this doesn't compare to cancer but I have Fibromyalgia, R.A., Chronic Fatigue and a handful of other things. I go through anger a lot. I'm really working on it but I want so badly to get to where I can be this positive! I know God is with me...I just have to stop worrying and let Him have it. It's hard.
You are the best! Thank you again!!
Heather Mullin

Unknown said...

Wow I just went through the rest of your site. quite inspirational thank you. I too have a terminal situation although .... how terminal if Ive had it for 20 years? Its an incurable lymphoma. Had the brain surgery, and everything! We are akin in some ways. Best to you! Hang tough and you go, girl!