Monday, October 27, 2008

Butterfly

I really didn’t have them any in my tummy before the big hair shaving escapade or during. At 4:00 yesterday afternoon I was tired of my hair hurting and my head itching that I was very ready to have Eric shave it off. The actual process of having it shaved felt odd being as I have never had my head shaved before- the buzz of the razor on my head was definitely a first. Then watching the clumps of hair fall was a little hard but not in the fact that I was thinking, oh my goodness, my hair is gone but I was thinking, wow, I still had a ton of hair.

Eric did a few swipes and styled it in a semi Mohawk and then just took it all off. It took me a minute to look at myself after it was all off but the encouraging words I was receiving made it much easier. Eric brought me out a mirror and I looked and I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. I have had many hair styles and/or colors in the past that after I would first get them done, every time I would walk by a mirror I would have to do a double take to make sure that was still me. I was expecting this to be the same but for some reason, it isn’t. This feels natural – no, I am not going to go around with my head shaved from now on. But while I was looking at my hair and taking everything in, a butterfly appeared. I am not sure who all saw it, but Eric and I saw it at the same time. I am sure it was there to let us both know that things are going to be okay. I am in my cocoon struggling to get out at the moment but it won’t be long until I am ready to fly and spread beauty throughout the world.
I had a whole slew of old and new friends alike there with me and for that, I am greatful! It was great to share this with them. The only thing I see out of this daily, is really and truly how blessed I am.

During the actual head shaving process, Jessica had a brilliant idea – I am going to go get artistic pictures made with my head bald. I want to remember this time in my life with a fond outlook of beauty and grace and what better way of doing that than with pictures. If anyone out there knows any good photographer in the Austin area, please let me know.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful! Your smile is shining so bright - and you pull off the shaved look very well! Can't wait to see you in person :)

Anonymous said...

You are one of the few that can pull off the shaved head!!! You are beautiful!

anna

Monica said...

You look so great! Sorry I missed it.. I'm curious about the art :)

Angela said...

Hey, you still have more hair than Eric! ;)

You look amazing! And what fun you can have for Halloween. I think you should carry a torn-up picture of the pope and go sing "Nothing Compares to You" at a karaoke bar.

Christy said...

you do look great with the new 'do!

one photographer that comes to mind: Maria Bernal (mariabernalphotography.com). She does stunning portrait work.

Beth said...

Renee - you look beautiful!!! I wish I could've been there! I wish I were getting to see you and Ian this week, so sad that I'm missing out. :( I'll talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

You look like Demi Moore! :-) HOTTIE! Only 108 days until FUN IN THE SUN!
Love ya,
Sara

Sherwoods said...

I love it! Honestly, I don't think you should wear a hat or scarf unless your head gets cold because you look so striking. It reminds me of when Natalie Portman shaved her head for some movie... how everyone wishes they would look with a shaved head!

Unknown said...

Brittany Spears ain't got nothin' on you!!! You look GREAT! I'm excited to see you on Sunday.

Erin C said...

Okay, I'm a little late here, but our neighbor on Spring Wagon is an excellent photographer and reasonably priced. Chantel Nasits. http://www.cnphotography.net