Saturday, October 4, 2014

I am a bag lady


I am a bag lady.
I have collected bags
all my life
as long as I can remember
some big
some small
some stylish
some plain.

These bags –
these bags I collect
even
hoard
some might say.

These bags –
these bags hold
all kinds of different
emotions
stories
hurts
loves
losses
laughs
truths

Lately though –
I have realized
these bags
all weigh different
 ~love is light and airy
I can sling it over my shoulder and take it with me wherever I go –
no matter how long the journey
Joy is the same

I can stuff my bag full of joy
and never feel
its weight
pulling down my shoulder
 

On the other hand though:
anger
shame
hate
jealousy
these weigh me down
even if I am only carrying
a single
lonely
pebble in my bag.

This tiny pebble
weighs a ton
like carrying bricks
bending me
side to side
and hurting my body
little
by
little
tweaking my back
here and there.

I have decided though -
I surely don’t need
all these bags
weighing me down

 I am getting rid of the bags
especially the tiny bags
the tiny bags
that carry only the pebbles -
the pebbles
that weigh me down

I have decided -
I only need one bag
One bag.

To carry God
with me
all day
everyday.

In this bag
I will find
all the
Love
Joy
Grace
Laughter
Hope
and More
then I can even imagine.

This –
This will be my only bag
I carry
from now on

 

 

No comments: